The Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics issued the annual bulletin of fish production statistics for the year 2020, and the most important indicators were as follows:
– The total amount of fish production amounted to 2.01 million tons in 2020 compared to 2.03 million tons in 2019, a decrease of 1.4%.
– The amount of fish production in natural fisheries (marine water, lakes and fresh water) reached 418.6 thousand tons in 2020, compared to 397.0 thousand tons in 2019, an increase of 5.5%. Fish farms ranked first in terms of production, with a percentage of 78.9%, followed by production in lakes with 11.8%, then production with marine water with 5.0%, fresh water at 4.0%, and finally rice fields with 0.3% of the total production The fish.
– Fish production in fish farms and rice fields reached 1.59 million tons in 2020 compared to 1.64 million tons in 2019, a decrease of 3.0% over the previous year.
The bony fish group occupies the first place in fish production
(tilapia, Buri, Dennis, bass, Moses, Coral…) by 98.1%
Followed by crustaceans (shrimp, crab,..) with a percentage of 0.8%, then other types
by 0.7%, followed by lungs (snails and oysters) with 0.3%, then mollusks
(Sbeit) by 0.1% of the total fish production.
The fish production in the new national projects (for fish farming) – Barakat Ghalioun – Kafr El-Sheikh Governorate, of marine fish reached 200 tons – of freshwater fish 2000 tons – and shrimp production reached 1140 tons).
– The production of fry in fish farms in Ghalioun pond amounted to 0.3 million fry of bream, 3 million fry of seabass, and 530 million of shrimp.
– The production of shrimp in fish farms at El-Diba farm – West Port Said reached 123 tons.